Thursday, October 18, 2012

I Love What I Do! (Or will be doing...)

I'm changing it up and this post will be more about my thoughts about what's been going on in life. Life pretty much is A LOT of school, so that's what I'm going to talk about. This entire school year has  made me very happy about what direction I'm headed. I'm studying to be a Speech Pathologist and studying the Spanish language as well. 

This year in my Communication Disorders curriculum I have the experience of an internship, or working in the clinic. I give speech therapy to two clients this semester and I absolutely love it! Don't get me wrong, it is quite stressful (at least for the first month)! I was nervous every day that I gave therapy, on Mondays and Wednesdays. But it has been a GREAT learning experience. One of my clients was given to me three weeks late, so I had to learn how to be flexible and work efficiently. My two clients are completely different so I'm getting some good experience with two different types of speech problems that I could see in the future. It is very rewarding to see improvements in these people, which shows that I'm doing my job. And that makes me happy! I'm excited to see what next semester will bring. 

Regarding my Spanish major, I've been involved in two Spanish activities that reinforces my love for the Spanish language. Every Monday I help teach an English as a Second Language (ESL) class to Hispanic adults in the Bowling Green community. These people are the nicest and friendliest people you will ever meet. They are so thankful that I am there to help them. I met one man and he thinks I'm his best friend now! He gives me a hug every time and continues to practice his English in front of me, and he is doing well! It's a great opportunity to practice my Spanish as well, because many of them don't know much English at all. I invited two students from ESL to Spanish Club, which is another activity that I'm involved in. They enjoyed coming to the meeting because they were able to practice their English. Oh and by the way, I'm co-president of the Spanish Club this year! I didn't see that one coming, but I'm glad I agreed. I have realized that to become better in Spanish I need to push myself out of my comfort zone, if not, then I will keep to myself and not speak the Spanish that I know. I'm not fluent, but I know I enough to keep a good conversation. The last meeting the other president wasn't there so I was nervous about speaking in front of the group and leading them. In the end, it went great and everyone enjoyed the meeting. I'm getting to know another faculty member in the Spanish department which is great! I'm excited to see what other fun activities Spanish Club will be doing this semester. One other thing that relates to Spanish is last weekend I spoke at two masses to share what Hilltoppers for Life has been doing and to try to collect donations. I read out loud after the masses and I was REALLY nervous! But once again I was pushed out of my comfort zone, and I did great (or that's what everyone else said :) ). After the masses I recognized some of the students from ESL and they  thanked me for what I was doing and some gave me a hug. I felt good about what I was doing, and I used my Spanish! 

Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment