Saturday, May 19, 2012

Homemade Dog Treats

I found this recipe on Pinterest months ago and I was finally able to make it! The recipe was adapted from A Cozy Kitchen. The primary reason why I decided to make these now is because Bailey's birthday is next week. She will be turning 10! She is getting so old, but she is in great shape :) 
Ingredients:
1/2 cup of peanut butter (I used the creamy kind)
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil (or olive oil)
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together peanut butter, honey, oil and chicken broth. In a separate bowl, combine flours and oatmeal. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Place dough on flour dusted surface. Roll or press dough out to about 1/4” inch thick. Use a small bone cookie cutter to cut out cookies. I didn't have a cookie cutter so I cut my own with a knife. I made hearts, stars, squares.... It  made two trays full, so it is quite a lot!  For small dogs you may want to use a small cookie cutter (or shapes). Roll out leftover scraps and cut out as many as possible. Put cut out cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 14-16 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack. Let your dog enjoy :) 

All the ingredients
Mixing wet ingredients 
Mixing the flours and oats
The glob of dough



Before oven
After oven
Final product!
The few actual bones I made
She must "shake" before receiving a treat!
Yum!
Bailey really liked it! 
Want to hear a funny story? Chris wasn't home when I was making these, so we were all plotting to ask him if he wanted a cookie when he got home. Once we asked him, I couldn't keep a straight face and started laughing (I'm really bad at lying). He said no, but later we offered again and he looked at them seriously considering eating one and says, "Wait! These are dog treats!" We said yes, but I decided to bet him $5 to eat one. GUESS WHAT? HE DID! He said it didn't taste too bad, but it was dry and got stuck in his teeth. He said he almost tossed his cookies later...but I think he might have been exaggerating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment