Saturday, February 11, 2012

Week Six- Mini-Marathon Training

Well....this week has had it's ups and downs that is for sure! My foot has started to bother me again, especially after the almost 6 mile run I did on Tuesday (yay! I ran {almost} 6 miles...the most so far training :) ). I also took two rest days, which I'm not proud of, but I know I needed them to help my foot out. 


Since my foot was giving me so much trouble, on Friday I went to Health Services on WKU's campus to get it checked out. My thought before going in was that I had a stress fracture (from Google searching my symptoms). They took an x-ray of my foot and found nothing wrong with it....so they have concluded that yes, it probably is a stress fracture. Stress fractures are too small to show up on x-rays, the only thing that would show up would be a major break of the bone. Which is a good thing, I guess. The doctor told me a few things:
1. Maybe you need new shoes?
2. Rest/Ice/Meds
3. Possible slow down your pace and run on softer surfaces like the treadmill, rather than the concrete outside. 
4. Do other exercises such as the bike and elliptical if you want to keep working out. 


So.....basically I need to rest, which is the last thing that I want to do, but I know I'm going to have to. So I'm going to stick to running only 1 mile at a time right now just to keep running, but do other cardio machines to keep up my heart rate. I'm praying that it will heal soon! 


My week:
2-5-12 (Sunday): 55 minutes elliptical
2-6-12 (Monday): Rest 
2-7-12 (Tuesday):  Ran 5.7 miles 60:00, elliptical 35 minutes, weight lifted 20 minutes  
2-8-12 (Wednesday): Rest   
2-9-12 (Thursday): 70 minutes bike, 20 minutes weight lifted
2-10-12 (Friday): Ran 1 mile 10:58, elliptical 30 minutes, weight lifted 25 minutes
2-11-12 (Saturday):  Ran 1 mile 9:50, elliptical 40 minutes, weight lifted 20 minutes 


I don't think I have told you, but my friends and I are officially doing the  Louisville Mini-Marathon on April 28th. I'm super excited :) 


Want to see something funny? Check out Brightroom Photography that has pictures from my last mini-marathon in Louisville in April 2009. They are funny because I look like I'm dying (which is what I actually felt like! It was really hot that day!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment