Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Praying for Newtown

It is so hard to talk about that tragedy that happened on Friday morning. It's even more unreal that it happened only 7 miles away from my house. (I live in Southbury and Newtown is the neighboring town). The community around here has been really quiet and depressing. It seems so unreal because all the places they have been showing on the news, especially St. Rose Catholic Church is familiar to my family. Chris attended 8th grade there, it truly is close to home. Thankfully we didn't know anybody that was immediately affected. I have been saying many prayers to those children and families. My heart truly goes out to them. I don't think I've seen so much news in my whole life, than I have these past few days. It just makes me sick to keep listening about it. 

On Saturday night, my home parish, Sacred Heart Church hosted a inter-faith prayer vigil for the Sandy Hook Elementary tragedy. There were over 400 people. After a few songs, reflection, and prayer, we had a luminary vigil outside the church and we laid the candles out into the word HOPE. It was beautiful and a great sign to show our support for all those suffering. The community has really come together to aid those in need and it is great to hear positive stories. 

Luminary Vigil at night
Luminary Vigil at night (people in front afterwards)
Daytime

No comments:

Post a Comment