Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Update on my Summer Reading List (2)

Today I just finished "A Time to Kill" by John Grisham. It was a really good book! I had a hard time putting it down. It was one of the longest books that I have ever read being 655 pages. I didn't know if I was going to be able to finish it, but I did! I would highly recommend it.
Here is a description below:

Near the rural town of Clanton, Mississippi, little Tonya Hailey is brutally raped, beaten, and left for dead by two drunken and remorseless men. The rapists are almost immediately caught in a road side bar, where they have been bragging of their exploits. When the men appear in court days later, Tonya's father Carl bursts out of the courthouse basement, and executes them with an assault rifle. Murder or executions? Justice or revenge? Carl trusts his life to only one man in town - local criminal lawyer Jake Brigance, who dreams of famous cases, headlines, and the big time. Jake is about to face the fight of his life, and he knows it. Not only is he up against Rufus Buckley - a tough, ambitious district attorney who realizes that a murder conviction could help him gain higher office - but he has a much bigger problem: the rapists are white, the judge is white - and Carl is black. This is a trial sure to change forever the lives of everyone involved. A Time to Kill is a riveting novel that challenges everything we think we know about justice and equality.

I also finished "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon a few weeks ago. It was good, but not amazing. Definitely an easy read. I'm not sure what I am going to read next, but I will be sure to update you!

No comments:

Post a Comment