Sunday, June 9, 2013

Belmont Stakes


Yesterday I went to the Belmont Stakes in Long Island, NY. Belmont is the the third leg of the Triple Crown. This was my first triple crown race I've attended. I lived in Louisville for a long time and never did go to the Kentucky Derby. I will one of these days!

I went with my brother, Nick, and Nick and Nick. Yes, I went with three Nicks. They are friends of Nick (my brother that is). It was a fun day and this was the first time that I've ever bet on horse racing.

We left mid morning to take the train to Grand Central. Then we walked to Penn Station and took a train to Belmont. The train rides weren't bad at all! A lot easier then dealing with traffic on the road. We arrived just before two and began watching some horses! I made my first $2 bet on a horse to show. And it won the race! I won 60 cents. Woohoo! Better than nothing, right? I was pretty proud and excited. We watched another 4 or so races before the actual Belmont race. I won one other time, winning $1.90. We lost more money than winning, that's for sure. Before the Belmont, we went down to the first floor and watched the horses walk around. I made my bets on #9 Revolutionary and #3 Overanalyze. They didn't even show! Boo!  All the Nicks and I didn't win anything, so dumb! Oh well, it was exciting to watch and cheer on our horses. After the race we ran out of there to catch the first ride back. It was a lot of fun and I'm really glad I went! 

Race track (infield in the back)
Horses getting into the gate
My bet was on Revolutionary...too bad he didn't win!
Outside the stands
The signature drink: "Belmont Jewel" (Woodford Reserve, Pomegranate Juice, and Lemonade)

All of us
Nick and I
Warming up before the race
 Here are the results according to NBC
FinishPostHorseJockeyTrainer
112Palace MaliceMike SmithTodd Pletcher
27OxbowGary StevensD. Wayne Lukas
35OrbJoel RosarioShug McGaughey
46IncognitoIrad Ortiz Jr.Kiaran McLaughlin
59RevolutionaryJavier CastellanoTodd Pletcher
613Unlimited BudgetRosie NapravnikTodd Pletcher
73OveranalyzeJohh VelazquezTodd Pletcher
811VyjackJulien LeparouxRudy Rogriguez
914Golden SoulRobby AlbaradoDallas Stewart
1010Will Take ChargeJon CourtD. Wayne Lukas
114Giant FinishEdgar PradoAnthony Dutrow
128Midnight TabooGarrett GomezTodd Pletcher
132Freedom ChildLuis SaezTom Albertrani
141Frac DaddyAlan GarciaKen McPeek

No comments:

Post a Comment