Wednesday, September 28, 2011

ESL class

Yesterday, I volunteered at an English as a Second Language (ESL) class with some other members of the Spanish Club. Every Tuesday for two hours there are Hispanics from Bowling Green that come to the ALIVE Center because they want to learn English. The majority of them know little to no English. 


I worked with a woman named Maria. This was her second time coming to class, and she knows very little English. She says that she has lived in the United States for 10 years now. I couldn't believe at how little English she knows, but I'm glad that she is coming to these classes so she can learn and improve. Last night, we went over common English phrases, such as "Thank you, Where is the bathroom?, I speak a little bit of English, I'm sorry" She had trouble with a lot of them, but I know she is already learning a lot. Maria had a lot of trouble with "help" because in Spanish you don't pronounce the "h." After the phrases we practiced the alphabet and numbers. 


I really enjoyed it! It was a great experience and I can't wait to go back next week. It was a great way to practice my Spanish and to teach others how to learn English. It is very rewarding to see all the students try really hard and also knowing that one day they will be able to communicate in English. 

No comments:

Post a Comment