Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Lift High the Cross


Did you know it was the Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross? Well it is! We honor the Holy Cross on which Christ redeemed the world. Pretty cool, huh? Today I went to mass a learned a little more about the Cross, but realized I had heard it all before because last year I went to mass on the same day. I was looking through my journal that I write down what I learned that day during the homily and sure enough, it was in my journal from last year. It is a very interesting story...I'll fill you in on the short version.

In the 4th century, St. Helen, Constantine's mother was looking around Jerusalem is found three crosses; one being Jesus', but she wasn't sure which one was really his. There was a funeral going on, so she took the dead person's hand and placed them on all three crosses. The one cross that made the man come alive was Christ's cross. The cross is now in Rome.

The Gospel today was from John 3:13-17 which is one of the well-known verses in the Bible: “No one has ascended into heaven but he who descended from heaven, the Son of man. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of man be lifted up, that whoever believes in him may have eternal life." 

The message is simple, but very powerful at the same time. I think I’m going to dwell on it some more tonight before I go to bed.

Here is the link for more information about the feast day. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment