Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sarah's Key


While I was in the Dominican Republic I read a book called Sarah's Key by: Tatiana de Rosnay. I was in a rush to find a book considering I only had one day after I had returned from Spain. My mom had read this book so she said I should read it. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it or not, but the first couple of chapters got me hooked! It is a mixture of the past and present, and has some history in it as well. I would highly recommend it! It is an easy read because I finished it in only 3 days.

Here is a summary:
In the summer of 1942, the French police arrested thousands of Jewish families and held them outside of Paris before shipping them off to Auschwitz. On the 60th anniversary of the roundups, an expatriate American journalist covering the atrocities discovers a personal connection—her apartment was formerly occupied by one such family. She resolves to find out what happened to Sarah, the 10-year-old daughter, who was the only family member to survive. The story is heart-wrenching, and Polly Stone gives an excellent performance, keeping a low-key tone through descriptions of horror that would elicit excessive dramatics from a less talented performer. Her characters are easy to differentiate, and her French accent is convincing. De Rosnay's novel is captivating, and the powerful narration gives it even greater impact. From: Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment